The intensive is for students who:
1) Are completely fluent in Classical Arabic and have studied Islamic sciences in an all-Arabic environment. Please note that the program is entirely in Arabic and almost all the teachers do not speak in English. Class instruction and discussion is conducted completely in Arabic and students need to be comfortable asking and answering questions in intelligible Arabic.
2) Have already undertaken significant studies of Islamic Sciences in Arabic to an intermediate level, as delineated below.
3) Are committed to attending the full four-week program and attending ALL mandatory classes.
- Fluency in Arabic, advanced facility in reading classical texts and ability to study in a completely Arabic environment.
- Kalām and Manṭiq prerequisites: Jawharat al-tawḥīd and Isagoge, or equivalent texts
- Fiqh prerequisites: ʿUmdat al-sālik (Shāfi’ī) or Kanz al-daqāʾiq (Ḥanafī) or equivalent text
- Uṣūl al-fiqh prerequisites: Sharḥ al-waraqāt or equivalent text
- Uṣūl al-Ḥadīth prerequisites: Nuzhat al-naẓar by Ibn Ḥajar or equivalent text.
Accepted students who are missing some prerequisites will be expected to complete them prior to the program. Note that the books taught will be determined on the basis of students’ interests and teachers’ expertise and discretion.